Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Pile of Crap

There is a rather popular contemporary Christian song, for which I cannot remember the name, that contains the lyrics "let me reach the unreachable, teach the unteachable, and love the unlovable".  I think I get what the artist is trying to say.  He wants God to give him the strength and courage to reach out to the people for which it is difficult to reach out to.  He wants God to provide the ability to love those that society say should not be loved or the parts of society that do not want to be loved.  It is overall a great idea for us all to go beyond our own personal boundaries to witness to and be the love of Christ the world.

But then this nasty little thought popped into my head the last time I heard this song on the radio, "This is a bunch of crap."  I understand that the song is coming from the humanistic view of love and how and to who we show that love but the whole concept that we, as Christians, could ever say that there is anyone that is unlovable is a bunch of crap.  I may just being getting overly technical with the wording of this song but come on...we can do better.

So what if a co-worker ignores you or thinks that you are a little strange.  So what if your classmates find you awkward.  2 Timothy 3:12 states, "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted".  If you want to live as Christ you will be persecuted.  Loving on mean people is almost a prerequisite for being a true follower of Christ.  It is a must...not an option.  Calling someone unlovable is like an Olympic hopeful saying training is impossible.  They want to get there but have put up a giant immovable wall with their mentality.  John 3:16 does not say, "For God so loved the lovable that He sent His one and only Son...".  NO..."For God so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son (to die a miserable death and be PERSECUTED to an extreme degree) so that ALL (every person to live ever including the really stupid and jerkish ones that do not deserve the air to live) that might believe in Him shall not perish (spiritually) but have everlasting life (spiritually)."

People may think that I cannot say, "God loved everyone so we have to love everyone," because that would be comparing us to God.  You are right.  And one of my favorite verses is the biggest slap in the face in history: Matthew 5:48 - "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Unlovable is not a word allowed in the Christian conversation.  Unlovable = Persecution = Blessings.

 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV) 
9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Time to change your vocabulary and get rid of that pile of crap called "The Unlovable" that is keeping you from running your race for God.  Embrace the persecution.  Embrace the pain.  Embrace the Rage.

No more crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment